A disturbing mass murder plot planned for Valentine’s Day in Halifax, Nova Scotia, was foiled by Canadian police, authorites said.
Three of the young suspects in the sick scheme, one of whom is American, were arrested Friday, and another was found dead. Police were tipped off to the plan earlier in the week.
Police said at least two of the suspects were planning to enter a mall “with a goal of opening fire to kill citizens, and then themselves,” CBC reported.
The plan was the brainchild of a 19-year old man from Timberlea, a Halifax suburb, and a woman, 23, from Geneva, Ill., both of whom had access to firearms, according to police.
The Timberlea man was found dead from a gunshot wound in his family house after police surrounded the home and tried talking to him.
The woman was arrested early Friday morning after getting off a flight from Chicago to Halifax. She had prewritten several statements she wanted to be tweeted after her suicide.
Two Halifax men, aged 17 and 20, were also arrested, but their roles in the plan have yet to be determined.
The names of the suspects and information about their connections to each other have not been released.
Brian Brennan, commanding officer of the Nova Scotia Royal Canadian Mounted Police, said “there’s nothing in the investigation to classify it as a terrorist attack.” He said it appeared to be a violent way for the suspects to express “some beliefs” they shared, but he did not elaborate. Police said the suspects seemed obsessed with death and collected photos of mass killings.
Brennan said police believe there are no other suspects in the thwarted Valentine’s Day massacre.